We aim to secure a climate-positive future where we operate within the limits of the planet and its resources. This means taking responsibility throughout our products’ value chain, including how our suppliers source raw materials, manufacture and transport products, and make sure packaging can be recycled at the end of life. Step by step, we are working to lower the environmental impact of our products and operations.
Our long-term commitments are to:
- achieve net-zero climate impact by 2040
- contribute to a circular, waste-free world
- protect ecosystems (water and nature)
We have set several targets to help us achieve our long term commitments. Some of our key targets are to:
- cut carbon emissions by at least 60% by 20302
- net-zero transports from supplier to customer by 2030
- 100% FSC certified or recycled paper & board by 2025
- 100% of packaging reusable or recyclable by 2027
- reduce the use of virgin plastics and increase share of recycled plastic in our packaging
A full list of targets can be found in our sustainability report.
Key achievements 2022 include:
- We improved the accuracy of our carbon footprint, making 2022 our base year. In 2023 we will start the process to have our targets validated by the Science Based Targets initiative.
- 100% renewable electricity through the purchase of Guarantees of Origin (GOs) covering electricity in Karo’s own operations.
- 100% of carbon emissions from Karo’s own operations were offset by investing in a Gold Standard certified project in Kenya. (342 tonnes CO2e)
- 80% of packaging is considered recyclable (58% of portfolio assessed).
- We continued to decrease packaging impact by reducing use of plastics and implementing FSC certified paper and board.
Read more about our work in the 2022 Sustainability report.